Corresponding Member of Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Science (Phys&Math),
Computer and Networking Software Division,
Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics (IAM)
Prof. M. Iakobovski’s areas of expertise are the development of parallel algorithms and modeling software for solving basic and applied problems in mathematical physics and continuum dynamics with high-performance computing systems.
Prof. M. Iakobovski has proposed a model of a unified computing system which is able to solve a wide range of problems using meshes with over 109 nodes. It runs on high-teraflop computers and metacomputers. He has also supervised the development of a distributed visualization system. It supports interactive analysis of large simulation experiment results performed with advanced high-performance computing systems. He has developed a dynamic CPU balancing algorithm that enables coordinated, iterative processing of many interdependent jobs arbitrarily distributed over a multiprocessor system’s cores. The algorithm is intended to simulate different-scale processes such as problems of burning when the time of running each elementary job is significantly and unpredictably differs from job to job, and from iteration to iteration.
Prof. M. Iakobovski is a member of the Editorial Board, Supercomputing frontiers and innovations (SuperFrI), a member of programming committees for a number of international conferences.
Mathematics Prof. Iakobovski is a leader of six pilot projects and one basic research project supported by RBRF. He was a co-leader of a project by the International Research and Engineering Center, and a joint Skolkovo project.
Prof. M. Iakobovski has developed the Introduction to Parallel Algorithms online course. He has been a scientific adviser to 6 PhD (Phys&Math) students. In 2009 one of his students was awarded a RAS medal and a prize for young scientists for the research Fluid Dynamics and Air Acoustics Problems Simulation with High-Performance Computing Systems.
Prof. M. Iakobovski has published over 80 research and educational papers.
1. Bondarenko А. А., Iakobovski М. М. Fault Modeling in High-Performance Computing Systems under the MPI Standard and Its ULFM Extension // Bulletin of South Ural State University: Computational Mathematics and Software Engineering. 2015. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 5-12.
2. Bondarenko А. А., Iakobovski М. V. Fault Modeling in High-Performance Computing Systems under the MPI Standard // Parallel Computing Technology (PCT 2015). International Conference Proceedings (March 31– April 2, 2015, Yekaterinburg). Chelyabinsk : SUSU University Press, 2015. P. 365-369.
3. Bondarenko А. А., Iakobovski М. V. Fault Modeling in High-Performance Computing Systems under the MPI Standard and Its ULFM Extension // South Ural State University Proceedings. Series: Computational Mathematics and Computer Science. 2015. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 5-12.
4. Polyakov S. V., Vyrodov А. V., Puzyrkov D. V., Iakobovski М. V. A Cloud Service for Solving Multiscale Nanotechnology Problems with Supercomputer Systems // RAS System Programming Institute Proceedings. 2015. Vol. 27. P. 409-420.
5. Golovchenko Е. N., Iakobovski М. V. GRIDSPIDERPAR Software Package for Parallel Decomposition of Large Meshes // Supercomputing Days in Russia: International Conference Proceedings. Russian Universities Supercomputing Consortium, Russian Federal Agency for Research Organizations. Moscow, 2015. P. 303-315.
6. Boldarev A. S., Bondarenko A. A., Golovchenko E. N., Gasilov V. A., Kornilina M. A., Polyakov S. V., Iakobovski M. V. Modeling Continuum Mechanics Problems with Hybrid Computing Systems // Mathematics and IT for Oil&Gas Industry. International Conference Proceedings. Surgut, 2014. P. 218-220.
7. Bondarenko А. А., Iakobovski М. V. High-Performance Computing Fail Safe Features Using Local Control Points // South Ural State University Proceedings. Series: Computational Mathematics and Computer Science. 2014. Vol. 3. No. 3. P. 20-36.
8. Iakobovski М. V. Introduction to Parallel Problem Solution Methods: A Tutorial / Preface by V. A. Sadovnichy. М. : Moscow University Press, 2013. 328 p., illustrated (Supercomputing Education Series).
9. Iakobovski М. V. Introduction to Parallel Problem Solution Methods: Tutorial. М. : Moscow University Press, 2013. 328 с.
10. Golovchenko E. N., Dorofeeva E. Yu., Gasilov V. A., Iakobovski M. V. A Simulation Experiment for Assessing Quality of Parallel Large Mesh Decomposition Algorithms // Preprint, Keldysh AMI, RAS. 2013. No. 7. P. 1-32.
11. Voronyuk M. N., Iakobovski М. V. Applying Percolation Grid Dynamic Filtration Process Modeling Algorithms to Graphics Accelerators // Mathematical Modeling. 2012. Vol. 24. No. 12. P. 78-85.
12. Bahvalov P. A., Kozubskaya T. K., Kornilina E. D., Morozov A. V., Iakobovski M. V. Farfield Flow Acoustic Disturbance Analysis Technology // Mathematical Modeling. 2011. Vol. 23. No. 11. P. 33-47.
13. Polyakov S. V., Iakobovski М. V. Geometric Modeling and Visualization for Modern Electronics Problems // Scientific Visualization. 2009. No. 1 (1). P. 19-65.
14. Iakobovski М. V. A Parallel Pseudo Random Sequence Generation Algorithm// Mathematical Modeling. 2009. Vol. 21. No. 6. P. 59-68.
15. Iakobovski М. V. A Computing Environment for Continuum Mechanics Problems Simulation with High-Performance Computing Systems: Extended abstract, Doctor of Science (Phys&Math) Thesis. М., 2006. 23 p.
16. Polyakov S. V., Iakobovski М. V. et al GIMM Application Package for Solving Fluid Dynamics Problems with Multiprocessor Computing Systems // Mathematical Modeling. Vol. 17. No. 6. 2005. P. 58-74.
17. Iakobovski М. V. An Incremental Graph Decomposition Algorithm // Lobachevsky Nizhny Novgorod University Proceedings. Mathematical Modeling and Optimal Control Series, Vol. 1 (28). Nizhny Novgorod : NNSU University Press, 2005. P. 243-250.
18. Iakobovski М. V., Kulkova E. Yu. Solving Problems with Shared Memory Multiprocessor Computing Systems. М. : STANKIN, 2004. 30 p.
19. Iakobovski М. V. Mesh Data Processing with Distributed Computing Systems // Nuclear Science and Technology. Series Mathematical Modeling of Physical Processes. 2004. Vol. 2. P. 40-53.
20. Iakobovski М. V. Parallel Algorithms for Large Data Sorting // Basic Problems of Physics and Mathematics, Engineering Systems Modeling: Collections, Vol. 7 [Edited by L. A. Uvarova]. М. : Janus-K Publishing, 2004. P. 235-249.
21. Krinov P. S., Iakobovski М. V. Large 3D Data Visualization with Distributed Multiprocessor Computer Systems // Third Russian National Youth Training Session. Applications of Supercomputing and IT Technologies to Physical and Chemical Research: Short Papers. APCI Publishing, RAS. 2001. 233 p.
22. Krinov P. S., Polyakov S. V., Iakobovski М. V. 3D Analysis Results Visualization with Distributed Computing Systems // Fourth International Mathematical Modeling Conference Proceedings. MGTU STANKIN University Press, 2001. P. 28-32.
23. Kornilina M. A., Iakobovski М. V. Dynamic CPU Balancing for Burning Simulation Problems // High Performance Computing and Applications Conference Proceedings (October 30 – November 2, 2000, Chernogolovka). М. : MSU University Press, 2000. P. 34-39.
24. Kornilina M. A., Iakobovski М. V. Complex Nonlinear Systems Evolution Modeling with Multiprocessor Computing Systems. // Journal of Physical Chemistry. 1995. Vol. 69. No. 8. P. 1533-1536.
25. Iakobovski M. V., Kornilina M. A., Voroniuk M. N. The Scalable GPU-based Parallel Algorithm for Uniform Pseudorandom Number Generation. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Parallel, Distributed // Grid and Cloud Computing for Engineering, P. Ivanyi and B.H.V. Topping, (Editors). Civil-Comp Press, Stirlingshire, United Kingdom. Р. 23. 2011. Р. 21.
26. Polyakov S., Iakobovski M. Geometrical Simulation and Visualization in Nanoelectronics Problems // Computer graphics & geometry. 2009. V. 11. No. 1. Р. 46-68.
27. Iakobovski M., Nesterov I., Krinov P. Large Distributed Datasets Visualization Software, Progress and Opportunities // Computer graphics & geometry. 2007. V. 9. No. 2. Р. 1-19.
28. Iakobovskii M. V. Parallel Sorting of Large Data Volumes on Distributed Memory Systems // Mathematical Modeling: Modern Methods and Applications. The book of scientific articles/edited by L.A. Uvarova. Moscow: Janus-K, 2004. Р. 153-163.